Atlanta Vehicle Defect Lawyers
Lawsuits for When a Vehicle Defect Causes a Crash
Not all car accidents are caused by the negligence of a driver on the road. Some crashes are caused by the negligence of a party that manufactured the vehicle or just a part of it.
If you were driving when a vehicle defect caused you to get into a crash, then you should already be thinking about who you can hold liable for your damages. If your vehicle defect accident happened in Atlanta, then you should already be talking to our attorneys from Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC. With decades of collective legal experience, you can trust that we have the know-how, resources, and insight needed to manage your claim effectively.
Dangerous Vehicle Defects
You depend on all parts of your vehicle to work properly whenever you hit the road. If just one critical part has a defect and you don’t know about it, it could spell disaster in an instant if it fails while your vehicle is in motion.
Some vehicle part defects that are particularly dangerous include:
- Airbags: If you are in a crash, then your car’s airbags should deploy instantaneously to stop you from hitting the steering wheel, door, and dashboard. A defective airbag might not deploy at all and do nothing in a crash. Some airbags – namely Takata Inc. brand – have been known to explode into sharp pieces of shrapnel without warning, potentially causing life-threatening injuries.
- Brake malfunctions: A brake failure can dramatically increase the space required for a car to come to a complete stop. When a brake failure happens unexpectedly and without showing any signs of brake issues beforehand, a high-speed rear-end collision is likely to result.
- Accelerator: Somewhat opposite of a brake failure, accelerator failures are equally dangerous. When an accelerator fails due to a defect, it can get stuck in the pushed position, causing the car to accelerate without any way to stop it. Even applying the brakes and E-brake might not be enough to slow it down.
- Exploding gas tanks: Certain Jeep models between the years 1993 and 2007 have rear-mounted gas tanks that can explode into flames in a relatively mild rear-end collision. If you are still driving one of these mostly recalled vehicles, then you could be in danger.
- Seatbelt defects: One of the most dangerous yet common vehicle defects is seatbelt defects. If a seatbelt fails to secure a passenger in place during an accident, the result can be devastating, as if the passenger didn’t have a seatbelt on at all. Another dangerous seatbelt defect is if the seatbelt won’t release after an accident, trapping the passenger in the vehicle, which can be extremely dangerous if the car is on fire, perhaps due to an exploding gas tank.
- Tire defects: Tire blowouts can cause a driver to instantly lose control of their vehicle and without warning, causing a terrible wreck. The tire manufacturer Firestone was infamously embroiled in litigation after it was found that many of its tires could burst and flip over SUVs and other top-heavy vehicles. Our firm is capable of taking on major auto part manufacturers, including nationally known name brands.
- Gear shift defects: Recently redesigned gear shifts in various automobiles have already gained notoriety for dangerous defects that can unexpectedly shift a vehicle back into neutral. Some of these defects are caused by electronic malfunctions while others are caused by mechanical defects. Famous actor Anton Yelchin lost his life in 2016 after his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled down his driveway and struck him. The tragedy was believed to be caused by a shifter defect that placed the car into neutral after he thought he had it fully parked.
Vehicle Defects of Two Types
Auto part defects are typically sorted into two types:
- Design defects: When a vehicle part is unsafe by design, it can never be safe to use. Design defects in vehicles can affect many parts and pieces, such as gas tanks placed in the back where they can explode or gear shifts that don’t make it clear if the vehicle is in neutral.
- Manufacturing defects: A vehicle part can be safely designed but poorly made, which is a manufacturing defect. Common examples of manufacturing defects are weak welds that do not effectively secure various parts of the vehicle, poorly machined parts that are the wrong shape, and mixing up material during the manufacturing process.
Another Form of Negligence: Failure to Maintain or Inspect
In some circumstances, vehicle defects like tire failure or an engine malfunction can be caused by the owner’s improper maintenance, or lack of maintenance to the tire. For example, in the case of commercial trucks, a trucking company or commercial driver may be driving on a tire with a tread depth that is lower than the minimum standards set by the Department of Transportation. Or, they may have paired tires with significantly different wear or mounted mismatched tire sizes.
Accidents may also be caused by an owner’s failure to inspect their vehicle before a trip. For example, inspection of a commercial truck can identify improper tire pressure, and worn or damaged tires, which can lead to a truck accidents.
Who is Liable for an Auto Part Defect?
Identifying the liable party for an auto part defect is sometimes straightforward. Our vehicle defect attorneys in Atlanta can research the part that failed to see which manufacturing company made it, which might not be the same company that sold the car. However, liability for a defective part is often passed upward to the automaker, which has an unshakeable duty to ensure that only safe, reliable parts are put into its products before they reach the sales lot.
The trouble of an auto part defect case is often bringing a claim that can stand up to the defense’s scrutiny. Automakers usually have strong defense attorneys on staff in a legal department. Each of these defense lawyers has built their career by defeating claims like yours. If you are going to go up against them, then you should make sure that you’re prepared by working with a capable legal team of your own.
Here to Ease Your Case Worries
If you’re feeling worried about how your case could pan out, then please call (888) 425-6070 today. Our Atlanta auto part defect attorneys would be happy to speak with you about what happened, so we can see if we can help. When we manage your claim, you can let the stress of the entire situation roll off your shoulders in knowing that professionals are leading the way and acting in your best interests.
Schedule a free initial consultation with our vehicle defect lawyers in atlanta to learn more.
$150 Million Truck Driver DUI: Wrongful Death
$30 Million Brain & Spinal Cord Injuries Requiring Extensive Treatment
$24,000,000 Commercial Motor Vehicle Collision Involving Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
$20 Million Medical Negligence: Medical Malpractice
$17,250,00 Wrongful death tractor trailer collision
$9 Million Medical Negligence: Traumatic Brain Injury
We apply our 75 years of combined legal experience to make sure each and every case is meticulously prepared for trial.
We have successfully represented clients against some of the largest corporations, insurance companies, and hospitals.
Our attorneys are nationally recognized for providing exceptional service and obtaining outstanding results.
Our boutique setting ensures you receive small firm care – all with the advocacy, skill, and experience of a large firm.
If you are looking for the most efficient, professional and ethical law firm in Georgia you do not need to look any further than Goldstein Hayes & Lina, P.C. There are not enough kind and positive words that can use to express the gratitude and respect- Eileen G.
Atty. Jonathan Hayes worked very hard for me and getting my case settle in a timely matter. I will recommend Goldstein Hayes & Lina P.C. to anyone looking for the best personal injury attorneys in Atlanta. They have exceeded my expectations.- Shunte
Goldstein Hayes & Lina made my unfortunate experience positive by representing me with little to no work on my end. It allowed me to heal from my injuries without worries. Mr. Hayes and paralegals were extremely attentive, personable, and there for me- Lauren J.
Mr. Hayes, Jessica and Alli have helped me with two cases in the past 3 years, and they have been so wonderful! The generosity and kindness of everyone at this practice are just great. I will always refer them to anyone that needs legal representation f- Amanda S.
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the time and effort Jonathan Hayes and his staff have put into making my case successful!! Me and my family are forever grateful for all the help and support you have given us over the years. Jonathan Hayes fights fo- Cherry H.
Mr. Hayes, as well as his paralegal Jessica, offered us compassionate and professional service. Nothing can bring our son back, but having Mr. Hayes walk us through the litigation process made this nightmare just a little bit more bearable.- Dorcas W.
If you're looking for a firm that will fight for you, this is definitely the place to be. No fast-talking or bait and switch. They did everything they said they would do! They stood by me and concerned themselves with what concerned me.- Tina C.
Both Jonathan and Jessica are extremely professional and really took care of me. Their communication was incredible through the whole process and I never had to worry about anything. From the start, they were really involved and interested in my wellbeing- Jessica P.