Atlanta Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Can I Sue For a Bicycle Accident in Atlanta?
While bicyclists have become more and more prevalent part of our roadways and traffic flow, these travelers are still at a significant safety disadvantage if a collision occurs. Due to a lack of significant bicycle safety features and the exposed nature of a bicycle rider, these accidents can result in significant and life-altering injuries. According to bicycle accident statistics put out by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), over 850 cyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2018.
If you are a bicyclist that has been hurt due to motorist negligence, then you may have grounds to seek rightful compensation for your injuries. At Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC, our dedicated Atlanta bicycle accident attorneys have over 75 years of combined legal experience fighting for compensation for injury victims. Over that time, we have recovered millions of dollars on their behalf and allowed them to move on with the relief and dignity they deserve.
Georgia Bicycle Laws - Protecting Your Rights!
According to Georgia law, motorists must adhere to the following rules when driving around cyclists. If you were injured because a driver was breaking one of these laws, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim against them.
- When passing a cyclist, motorists must allow a minimum of 3 feet between them and the cyclist
- Bicycles are considered vehicles, and as such have the same rights to the road as motor vehicles (with a few exceptions)
- Motor vehicles must yield to cyclists who are in the bike lane, even if it is on a roadway
- Cyclists are not required to use bicycle lanes unless local city ordinance requires it
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Especially in urban areas, like Atlanta, motorists are not always careful to check for bicyclists on the road and those riding bikes are easily overlooked or ignored. When this happens, these bicyclists are put at serious risk for injury.
Common causes of bike accidents that involve driver negligence include:
- Driver failure to signal a turn or lane change
- Driver failure to yield or heed stop signs
- Driver failure to look for nearby bicycles
- Distracted driving by the motorist (texting, talking, etc.)
- Impaired or intoxicated driving
Where Do Most Bicycle Accidents Occur?
The same study by the IIHS showed that 79% of bicycle fatalities occurred in urban areas in 2018. Another study put out by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) showed that accidents occurred most commonly between the hours of 6pm and 9pm.
Accidents are more likely to occur in urban areas due to several reasons:
- Failure to look for cyclists before making a right-hand turn on red
- Failure to check side-mirrors before opening a car door into a bike lane
- Failure to share the road with bike-riders in the city
What are Some of the Most Common Bicycle Injuries?
Some of the most common injuries sustained in cycling accidents include:
- Head and neck injuries (especially if the cyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash)
- Road rash from skidding across the pavement in a high-impact accident
- Sprained, bruised or torn muscles (particularly hands, wrists, hips, knees, feet, ankles, etc.)
- Broken or crushed bones as a result of the impact or being crushed between the car an another object
- Brain injuries
Don't Wait to Get Help Today!
When any of these happen, driver negligence has occurred and the motorist bears responsibility for injury to the bicyclist. It is possible, however, to hold the liable parties responsible for these injuries and ensure that your pain and suffering is recognized by the law. The experienced team at Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC is prepared to help you assess your case and, if necessary, start aggressively pursuing the restitution. Contact our bicycle accident attorneys in Atlanta today!
Choose a bicycle accident lawyer in Atlanta ready to fight for you. Contact Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC today.
Brain & Spinal Cord Injuries Requiring Extensive Treatment $30 Million
Medical Negligence: Medical Malpractice $20 Million
Medical Negligence: Traumatic Brain Injury $9 Million
Medical Malpractice: Traumatic Brain Injury $7.5 Million
Wrongful Death: Construction $7 Million
Catastrophic Brain Injury: Medical Negligence $6 Million
Medical Negligence: Wrongful Death Case $5.25 Million
Premises Liability: Wrongful Death Case $4.5 Million
Swimming Pool Accident / Drowning: Wrongful Death $4.5 Million
Medical Negligence: Traumatic Brain Injury $4 Million
The most efficient, professional and ethical law firm in Georgia.- Eileen G.
They have exceeded my expectations.- Shunte
Extremely attentive, personable, and there for me.- Lauren J.
They have been so wonderful.
Mr. Hayes, Jessica and Alli have helped me with two cases in the past 3 years, and they have been so wonderful! The generosity and kindness of everyone at this practice are just great. I will always refer them to anyone that needs legal representation f”- Amanda S.
They have a client for life!!- Cherry H.
75 Years of Combined Experience
We apply our 75 years of combined legal experience to make sure each and every case is meticulously prepared for trial.
Over $400 Million in Recoveries
We have successfully represented clients against some of the largest corporations, insurance companies, and hospitals.
Recognized for Our Expertise, with the Awards to Prove It
Our attorneys are nationally recognized for providing exceptional service and obtaining outstanding results.
Personal Attention, Like You Are One of Our Own
Our boutique setting ensures you receive small firm care – all with the advocacy, skill, and experience of a large firm.