Atlanta Rental Car Accident Attorneys
Rental Car Accidents in Georgia
Being involved in any car accident is stressful, but if you are injured in an accident while driving a rental car, you may face several unique challenges. Who is responsible for your medical bills? Will you have to pay for damage to the rental vehicle? How do you file an insurance claim?
The best thing you can do after a serious rental car accident in Georgia is to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer who can protect your rights and help you seek the compensation you are owed. At Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC, we have extensive experience handling complex motor vehicle accident claims, including cases involving rental cars. Whether you are a Georgia resident or a tourist from out of state, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process.
We offer free initial consultations, and there are no legal fees unless we win your case. Contact us online or call (888) 425-6070 to schedule an appointment today.
What Happens If You Get into an Accident with a Rental Car?
If you are involved in an accident while driving or riding in a rental car, there are several things you should do to protect yourself, your rights, and your safety:
- Stay at the scene. In many states, including Georgia, it is a crime to leave the scene of an accident without identifying yourself and/or providing reasonable aid to others involved.
- Call 911/an ambulance if necessary. You should also contact the police and have them come out to the scene of the accident, especially if you or anyone else was injured.
- Get the other driver’s information, including their name and contact information, as well as their insurance information.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. If possible/applicable, talk to witnesses who saw what happened and get their names and contact information.
- Report the accident to the police right away if it resulted in bodily injury, death, or property damage over $500. If police come to the scene, they will file the report for you.
- Obtain a copy of the police report and provide it to the rental car company. This is important, as it helps establish what happened and who was at fault.
- Notify the rental car company about the accident as soon as possible. The company likely has policies regarding reporting collisions; make sure you read and understand these policies.
- Contact an attorney for help with your accident claim. Rental car accident claims are much more complicated than standard car accident claims; a lawyer can help you protect your rights.
Although Georgia follows a traditional fault-based system when it comes to car accidents, this typically only applies to injury- and death-related damages. You may still be liable for damage to the rental vehicle, even if the other driver was responsible for the crash. Your insurance coverage—whether purchased from the rental car company or your own personal insurance policy—can help with these costs.
We strongly recommend that you reach out to our Atlanta rental car accident lawyers at Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC for help with your case. We have over 75 years of combined experience navigating complex motor vehicle accident claims and have recovered more than $300 million for our clients. We are prepared to advocate for you and your rights throughout the legal process.
Are Rental Car Companies Liable for Accidents?
Generally, when someone is involved in a rental car accident, the rental company is not liable for damages unless the person who rented the vehicle purchased the company’s insurance. If you were injured in an accident while driving a rental car, you will typically need to file a claim against the at-fault driver’s private insurance carrier to be compensated for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. If you were at fault for the collision, you are likely liable for the other person’s damages.
If you were hit by someone else who was driving a rental car, the rental car company may be liable—it depends on whether the driver purchased rental car insurance, as well as what type of coverage applies during the rental period.
Should You Get Rental Car Insurance?
Many private auto insurance companies offer rental car coverage or similar coverage to protect motorists when they are driving rental cars. Before renting a car, you should check with your auto insurance provider and determine whether you are covered. If you are not, it is a good idea to purchase insurance through the rental car company.
Rental car companies offer various types of insurance. Some common types include:
- Loss Damage Waivers: A loss damage waiver (LDW) protects rental car drivers if the vehicle is damaged, destroyed, or stolen. If you have an LDW, the rental car company will pay for rental car repairs and/or replacement, unless the vehicle was being driven by an unauthorized driver or if the driver was being reckless.
- Supplemental Liability Coverage: If you are involved in an accident caused by another driver, and you have supplemental liability coverage, the rental car company will pay for certain covered losses, including medical expenses and property damage repairs. This type of coverage is supplemental to your own auto insurance coverage.
- Personal Accident Insurance: If you purchase the rental car company’s personal accident insurance, the rental company will pay for medical expenses and other damages related to your injuries or your passenger’s injuries.
- Personal Effects Insurance: Personal effects insurance covers costs related to personal property that is damaged or destroyed in an accident, such as personal items or equipment you had in the vehicle at the time of the crash.
It is important that you carefully review all available insurance options before renting a vehicle. If you have already been in an accident while driving or riding in a rental car, we recommend that you contact our Atlanta rental car accident lawyers at Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC to learn more about your rights and options.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Navigating the aftermath of a rental car accident can be very stressful, but with an experienced attorney by your side, you can effectively protect your rights and work to ensure you receive all available compensation you are owed. At Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC, we are prepared to communicate with the rental car company, its insurance provider, and all other involved parties on your behalf. We have successfully helped victims of all types of motor vehicle accidents in Atlanta and throughout Georgia—find out how our team can help you with your claim today.
Call (888) 425-6070 or submit a free online case evaluation form today to get started.
Case ResultsMore Than $400 Million Won for Georgia's Injured
Truck Driver DUI: Wrongful Death $150 Million
Automobile Negligence: Products Liability $4.5 Million
commercial motor vehicle collision with multi-level cervical fusion $4,250,000
Commercial Motor Vehicle Collision: Multiple Fractures $2.75 Million
Commercial Motor Vehicle Collision $2.75 Million
Automobile Negligence: Multiple Injuries $2.4 Million
Motor Vehicle Accident with Multiple Injuries $2.2 Million
Motor Vehicle Collision with Multiple Injuries $1.95 Million
Automobile Negligence: Herniated Disc $1.3 Million
Automobile Negligence: Multiple Fractures $1.2 Million
Client TestimonialsReal Stories of Recovery
The most efficient, professional and ethical law firm in Georgia.- Eileen G.
They have exceeded my expectations.- Shunte
Extremely attentive, personable, and there for me.- Lauren J.
They have been so wonderful.
Mr. Hayes, Jessica and Alli have helped me with two cases in the past 3 years, and they have been so wonderful! The generosity and kindness of everyone at this practice are just great. I will always refer them to anyone that needs legal representation f”- Amanda S.
They have a client for life!!- Cherry H.
How We Put You First
75 Years of Combined Experience
We apply our 75 years of combined legal experience to make sure each and every case is meticulously prepared for trial.
Over $600 Million in Recoveries
We have successfully represented clients against some of the largest corporations, insurance companies, and hospitals.
Recognized for Our Expertise, with the Awards to Prove It
Our attorneys are nationally recognized for providing exceptional service and obtaining outstanding results.
Personal Attention, Like You Are One of Our Own
Our boutique setting ensures you receive small firm care – all with the advocacy, skill, and experience of a large firm.
Let our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys make the difference in your case.