Skip to Content

At a construction site, supervisors, employers, and property owners are ultimately responsible to keep the jobsite safe and secure. If there is an unsafe work condition that could lead to a construction accident, then those same parties are also responsible for reporting, noting, and addressing it as soon as possible. However, construction workers all share a responsibility to try to prevent and avoid jobsite hazards, so they all also have the option to report unsafe word conditions they notice.

Reporting Dangerous Construction Sites to OSHA

If you work at a construction site and see an unsafe work condition or hazard, then you can take the initiative and report it to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Specifically, you will need to file a whistleblower complaint form, which OSHA suggests you use if you have already notified your employer and they have not taken proper corrective action. OSHA recommends you first tell your boss or supervisor about the issue because whistleblower complaint forms are not anonymous.

If your employer finds out you neglected to tell them about a hazard and went straight to OSHA, then you could be terminated for failing to do your part in keeping the workspace safe. On the other hand, if you report it to OSHA after your employer failed to take action in a reasonable amount of time, and then your employer retaliates against you, it could be an employment law violation. Whistleblowers cannot legally face penalties for reporting an unsafe jobsite condition.

Dangerous jobsite conditions you might encounter in your workplace include hazards like:

  • Falls from heights
  • Falling objects
  • Electrocutions
  • Heavy equipment accidents
  • Crush injury risks
  • Fires and explosions

How to File a Whistleblower Complaint Form

Once you have decided to report an unsafe construction site condition to OSHA, you should visit On this site, you can find an online portal to complete a digital “Notice of Alleged Safety or Health Hazards” form online. Or you can call OSHA directly at 1-800-321-OSHA (6742).

Can You Sue Your Employer for an Unsafe Work Environment?

Were you working at a construction site when an unsafe work environment caused you to suffer an injury? If you have workers’ compensation, then you might not be able to sue your employer for your damages but will instead need to navigate the workers’ comp system to receive benefits. However, many construction workers are hired as independent contractors who are not covered by workers’ compensation. If you are employed as an independent contractor or otherwise do not have workers’ compensation, then you may be able to file a claim. Additionally, if another company’s worker on the construction site caused your accident and injuries, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the other sub-contractor or his/her employer.

If you have questions about filing a construction accident claim after an accident at a jobsite in Atlanta, then please dial (888) 425-6070 and speak with a member of Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC. Our attorneys can help injured construction accidents seek damages through an injury claim or lawsuit when workers’ compensation is not an option. Contact us now.