Few things are quite as frustrating as a long drawn-out personal injury case. If you have been injured as a result of another’s negligence, it is likely you are in need of compensation due to your costly medical bills, loss of work or wages, or emotional distress in the form of pain and suffering. However, if your case is taking too long to resolve and you are still going without the compensation you deserve, it can drastically hinder your healing process.
Unfortunately, the reality is that many personal injury cases can be held up due to a number of reasons. Because every accident and every injury is different, as is every case. If your losses are known and the liability is not in dispute, the case should settle in a month or two. However, if either of these things is not resolved immediately, your case can drag out for some time--even years, if it so requires.
The following are common steps taken in a personal injury case:
- Injury evaluation, which usually involves doctors or medical professionals
- If both parties can come to an agreement, there is a settlement
- If not, the injured person files a lawsuit
- The discovery period, in which both parties learn about each other’s side of the case
- Depositions, which your Atlanta personal injury lawyer will participate in
- Pre-trial motions, such as objections to evidence or the request of a case dismissal
- Mediation and settlement
- If there is no settlement, the case goes to trial, which can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks
- Once the trial is over, either side may file an appeal or motion if they so choose
Contact Our Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
Our Atlanta personal injury lawyers of Goldstein Hayes & Lina, LLC make your case a priority each time. This is why our legal team do everything in our power to resolve your case efficiently and effectively. No matter the challenges we may face, we will fight for you until the end--don't face your case alone!
Speak to a member of our firm today by calling (888) 425-6070.